Pi Day is celebrated around the world on March 14th (3.14). Pi (Greek letter “π”) is the symbol used in mathematics to represent a constant - the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter - which is approximately 3.14159. Pi has been calculated to over one trillion digits beyond it's decimal point.
Pi Day is not just for math geeks anymore... it is now PIE Day for foodies, runners, and walkers!
Plan to join us on Sunday, March 14 for the Pie Day Pi K 3.14 Kilometer (1.95 mile) race at C.M. Herndon Park in Durham.
Pie Day PI K will be an In-Person race. Due to COVID-19 gathering restrictions and safety concerns, Pie Day Pi K will an in-person "Safer Time Trial Styls" race (as in 2020). The City of Durham has approved our COVID safety plan and the precautions we have put in place.
Precision Race developed a socially distanced, reduced gathering size style of race we call "Safer Time Trial Style" races. The 2020 Pie Day Pi K was the first race of this style, and we refined it throughout the year with the Bull Moon 5K, Triangle Trick or Trot 5K, 12 Days 'til Christmas 5K, and more.
How does this Safer Time Trial Style Race work?
- The 3.14K (1.98 mile) race will be held on Sunday morning March 14, 2021 at C.M. Herndon Park in Durham.
- Runners register for a 30-minute arrival/start window. You must arrive during the 30-minute arrival window you selected when registering. (If you arrive early, please wait in your car until your half-hour window.)
- Wear a face mask from the time you arrive until you are the next runner to start.
- During your 30-minute arrival window, check in to receive your race bib/chip then head to the start area where you will line up single file, spaced 6' apart, as your move single-file toward the start line.
- Remove your mask when you are at the start line ready to start. Our official Starter will let you know when you can start your time trial style race. (Family members living together may choose to start together.)
- After you have crossed the finish line and caught your breath, please put your mask back on. Grab a bottled water, collect your Individually-wrapped Pie and race shirt if you purchased one then head home to watch the LIVE results online.
- These restrictions may be modified as required to meet state and local COVID guidelines
About our pies
Runners each receive freshly-baked crostada (personal pie) baked by James Beard Pastry Chef Award semi-finalist Phoebe Lawless. We anticipate having the same choice of pies as previous years - apple or chocolate sea salt.
NEW Race Shirt Design
This year's new shirt design - "equations on a blackboard" - is a black long sleeve cotton/blend shirt. It is available for purchase for $13.50 for those who register by March 5 (or until your size sells out).
- $22 through 1/13
- $26 from 1/14 until 2/28
- $30 from 3/1-3/14
Race Timing & FREE finish line photos:
Pi Day Pi KRace timing is please to offer race timing & results by Precision Race.
At check-in you will receive your Pie Day Pi K race bib. The bib has a pull-tag you will use for your post-race personal pie. On the back of the bib is a foam strip. This is your disposable timing chip. Please do not fold or remove this chip.
Runners can receive your results in these ways:
- Results Text Message: If you requested a text when you pre-registered, a text with your time will be sent as you finish.
- LIVE results online HERE
- Live results in the free ItsYourRace Mobile App.
Triangle Race Series: The Pie Day Pi K is part of the 2021 Triangle Race Series. Earn Series points by completing the Pi K Race. CLICK HERE for Series details.
Photos: After the race your finish line photos will be available with your race results online and in the ItsYourRace mobile app. Download and/or share your favorite photo(s) on social media for FREE!
Our Race Charity Partner
We are pleased to announce that Habitat for Humanity of Durham is our race charity. Please consider making an additional donation for Habitat of Durham as your register.
Race Management, Timing & Results by